The 49ers have been in need at wide receiver. That’s what brought them to signing Tavon Austin last month. They might be back to the free-agent board after his injury, Adam Maya of NFL.com reports.
San Francisco announced Thursday it placed the veteran on injured reserve with a knee injury. Austin was vying for a spot on the team’s 53-man roster, which has been decimated at the receiver position heading into the season.
The 49ers, which kick off next Sunday versus the Cardinals, have been practicing without Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Brandon Aiyuk and Richie James, while recent acquisition J.J. Nelson is on injured reserve.
Coach Kyle Shanahan expressed optimism Wednesday about Samuel and Aiyuk playing in the season opener. Hurd, who sat out the 2019 campaign, will be sidelined for this one as well.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on