Say what you want about Blaine Gabbert, but in overtime Sunday he came up with the play of the day for the 49ers to lead them to a big win over the Bears.
Gabbert hit a 71-yard touchdown pass to Torrey Smith in overtime after running for the tying TD late in regulation, as the Niners beat the Bears 26-20.
The new Niners QB answered the bell after Chicago’s Ka’Deem Carey ran for a touchdown in the closing minutes of regulation, rushing in for one his own to tie the game, and then winning it in OT.
Chicago did have a shot to win it, but Bears kicker Robbie Gould missed a field goal at the end of regulation.
The Bears took a 20-13 lead on Carey’s 4-yard run with 3:32 left, only to let it disappear and then blow a chance to win the game as time expired.
Gabbert scrambled 44 yards untouched through the middle for his first career touchdown run with 1:42 left to tie it up and set up the heroics in OT for San Francisco, who improve to 4-8.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on