San Francisco 49ers kicker David Akers has been named the NFC’s Special Teams Player of the Week, the league announced on Wednesday.
After missing his first field goal attempt from 52 yards out, Akers was good from 53, 29, 44 and 39 yards out as the 49ers scored a comeback win on the road over the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday. Akers’ 44-yard field goal set an NFL record for field goals made in a single season and his 39-yard field goal with 2:57 to play was the game-winner.
Akers is the third 49ers player to earn NFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors this season. Return specialist Ted Ginn won the honor after a Week 1 win over the Seahawks, and punter Andy Lee took home the award in Week 15.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on