49ers linebacker Kwon Alexander, formerly of the Buccaneers, got ejected for lowering his helmet when he hit Jameis Winston on a third-down keeper in Sunday’s season opener, Cam Inman of Bayareanewsgroup reports.
That lower-the-helmet rule was an emphasis NFL officials planned to enforce this season, and the 49ers were apprised of such targeting dangers when officials met with the 49ers early in training camp.
Alexander’s ejection came on the penultimate play of the first quarter with the 49ers leading 3-0. He played the previous four seasons with Tampa Bay, a tenure that ended with him tearing a knee ligament last October.
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on