Defensive lineman Cedric Thornton has unretired from the NFL and has been reinstated to the San Francisco 49ers active roster according to Field Yates of ESPN.
The 30-year-old Thornton was originally an undrafted free agent out of Southern Arkansas in 2011 and spent six seasons in the NFL, four with the Philadelphia Eagles and then one each with the Dallas Cowboys and the Buffalo Bills.
He signed a free agent deal to join the Niners last July 26 but then abruptly retired on August 22.
Previously categorized as a five-tech run stopper, it’s a true question mark whether Thornton can make an impact after sitting out for the entirety of the 2018 season.
In his career, he made 220 tackles, 7.5 sacks, six passes defensed, four fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on