49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, who met with the quarterbacks on Tuesday, made the announcement that Jimmy Garoppolo will start against the Chicago Bears, Matt Maiocco of CSN Bayarea reports.
Garoppolo grew up in Arlington Heights, Illinois, approximately 30 miles from Soldier Field.
Rookie C.J. Beathard, who started the 49ers’ previous five games, sustained a knee contusion and hip strain late in Sunday’s game upon taking a low hit from Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett. It is uncertain whether Beathard will be fully cleared to practice this week.
On Monday, Shanahan said he wanted his starting quarterback to be identified before Wednesday’s practice because both players needed as much preparation time as possible.
“One is a rookie quarterback and the other one basically is also, with him just being here,” Shanahan said. “To give those guys the best chance to be successful, you want to give them all the reps, which still isn’t enough reps. Any time you split those evenly, it’s kind of a disservice to both.”
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on