In an update to an earlier story, the 49ers have announced the signing of quarterback Seneca Wallace to a one-year deal. With the current backups struggling, Wallace was brought in for a workout and the team apparently liked what they saw. The more surprising news in this story is that the team waived wide receiver Ricardo Lockette to make room for Wallace.
Wallace will be immediately thrust into the competition to backup Colin Kaepernick. He will be competing against Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien and rookie B.J. Daniels for a roster spot. The 49ers bringing in Wallace is not good news for any of them, as their place on the team now appears to be on shaky ground.
As far as Lockette, he was thought of as an intriguing player because of his speed and the time he spent in the offseason working out with Kaepernick. While he probably was not going to make the 53-man roster anyway, he appeared to be a likely candidate for the practice squad. Lockette had played well on special teams so far this preseason, which is something a fifth or sixth receiver on a roster must generally do.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on