49ers defensive lineman Justin Smith says his surgically repaired triceps is “almost 100 percent,” Cam Inman of Bayareanewsgroup reports. The looming question now is whether his 49ers career is almost complete.
Smith, the mainstay of the 49ers’ defensive line, is entering the final year of his contract, at a $7.5 million base salary. He has talked about wanting to play a couple more years, but the 12-year veteran fears his future will be impacted more by the NFL’s aversion to aging players than by last season’s injury.
“At my point in my career, nothing’s a given, nothing’s a guarantee,” Smith, 33, said Wednesday at minicamp. “They don’t like old guys anyway for football.
“So I’m going to enjoy this year, do the best I can this year, and hopefully it’s enough for us and the team, and we’ll get it done.”
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on