When Colt McCoy was acquired by the San Francisco 49ers this offseason, the thought was he would compete with Scott Tolzien for the backup quarterback job. The 49ers love competition and it seemed like a real possibility that the two quarterbacks would have to duke it out through training camp and the preseason for the right to be the teams number two signal caller. However, as the 49ers begin another round of OTAs, it looks like McCoy already has a strangle hold on the position.
“He has been in that role since he got here,” Harbaugh said. “He’s doing very well, picking up the system. And a guy that is really serious and focused on being good and doing a good job. He’s got a lot of things that motivate him to work hard. And he’s worked extra hard, too. He’s doing well.”
With McCoy looking like a lock for the backup role, Tolzien will have to worry about fending off rookie B.J. Daniels for the third quarterback spot. Because of his athleticism, Daniels could help his case by playing a more versatile role for the 49ers.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on