There are options. That is if you believe 49ers General manager Trent Baalke when it comes to QB Alex Smith.
Smith’s future seems to be the biggest question for the 49?ers this offseason, and according to the Sac Bee, all options are still on the table about him.
Baalke said from the scouting combine today that nothing has been decided about Smith, who sat the bench last season after suffering a concussion.
Baalke told the Bee he had a dinner with Smith and his wife, Elizabeth, in the Bay Area after the Super Bowl during which both parties talked about their priorities this offseason.
While there was no specifics about Smith or the conversation, he said it was a priority for the organization to handle the situation as delicately as possible.
“I had a great conversation with him,” Baalke said. “He expressed his feelings, and I expressed our feelings. And that’s as far as I’m going to take it.”
There’s really three options with Smith – trade, release or keep em. That’s it.
Baalke refused to be pinned down on any one outcome. “Are we going to trade him for sure?” he said. “No, that hasn’t been decided.”
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on