Despite some fans wanting otherwise, it sounds like Alex Smith is set to return to the 49ers for the 2012 season.
Smith said in an interview with Kim Coyle of CBS5 that he is happy with the way the details of a new three-year deal are going between he and the Niners.
The QB could be a free agent, but has said all along that he wanted to return to the bay, and the Niners have said they want to keep him aboard as their QB.
There were some reports that Smith was looking for a five-year deal, but those were according to Smith – “completely false”.
The QB says that he is confident a deal will be done before the start of free agency, which begins at 4pm ET on Tuesday.
Last season Smith inked a one-year, $4 million contract that also included up to $3 million in various incentives.
He completed 61.3 percent of 445 pass attempts for 3,144 yards with 17 touchdowns and just five interceptions in leading the 49ers to their first NFC West title and playoff appearance since 2002.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on