The NFL has send the helmet-to-helmet hit on Saints running back Pierre Thomas by 49ers safety Donte Whitner was legal according to the Associated Press.
Whitner was not penalized because the tackle was not against a defenseless player. Helmet-to-helmet hits are outlawed against eight categories considered defenseless players, and a runner is not one of those categories.
Thomas was considered a runner because he had made a catch, turned and made a “football move” before being hit.
The competition committee that recommends rules changes could examine such hits in the offseason.
NFL spokesman Michael Signora said Sunday the “committee always closely studies and analyzes anything having to do with player safety.”
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on