A 2002 fifth-round pick (154th overall) out of Michigan by the New York Jets, Goodwin started spent much of his first three seasons in the league backing up Kevin Mawae, stepping in to replace an injured Mawae for the final 10 games of the 2005 season.
Signed by the New Orleans Saints as a free agent in 2006, Goodwin backed up Jeff Faine for two seasons before becoming the full-time starter in 2008. Over the last three seasons, Goodwin has started 45 games for the Saints, earning Pro Bowl honors after the 2010 season.
The 32-year-old Goodwin will likely start for the 49ers, who released center Eric Heitmann and lost David Baas to the New York Giants in free agency.
San Francisco also signed special teams linebacker Blake Costanzo to a one-year deal.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on