The Chronicle reports that 49ers FA DE Ray McDonald wants to be back with the Niners in 2011.
After spending the past two years as a backup, Ray McDonald wants to be a starter and the signs suggest the 6-foot-3, 295-pound defensive end will get that opportunity in San Francisco. According to a CSN Bay Area report last month, the Niners will make re-signing McDonald a top priority. The team expects nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, an unrestricted free agent, to sign a lucrative deal elsewhere.
If so, left defensive end Isaac Sopoaga could move to nose tackle, opening up a starting spot for McDonald, a third-round pick in 2007. McDonald got the indication the 49ers thought highly of him based on pre-lockout talks with first-year defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and general manager Trent Baalke. “Before we left there was a good vibe amongst me and the coaching staff and the GM,” McDonald said. “They said they liked the way I played and want me back, so I’m just going off that. I want to be back here. I’m comfortable out here.”
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on