Mercury News reports Alex Smith is happy being in San Fran, and for now he wants to be in the Bay for the 2011 season.
Alex Smith will not be known as a cut-and-runner, that much is guaranteed, which is the only thing that is guaranteed about his career so far, it takes a certain wellspring of character to stick it out through thin and thin. And it speaks to Smith’s stubbornness and fateful timing that he has blossomed as the 49ers’ singular leader now, precisely when they have selected another quarterback to replace him. Smith is not the quarterback of the future; Colin Kaepernick is, and Smith isn’t even signed as a 49er, though he is destined to sign a one-year deal whenever the lockout is lifted. But in a situation that would cause other quarterbacks immediately to seek employment anywhere else, Smith has somehow emerged as the central organizing force for the players’ unofficial workouts and beyond. “It is different — I’m not even on the roster, and I’m calling up guys to get this together,” Smith said with a smile.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on