It appears that 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke have dramatically different views on the key subject of free-agent QB Alex Smith. Harbaugh seemingly appears more than a little willing to give Smith a legitimate shot at retaining the starting QB job. Baalke, on the other hand, previously indicated that keeping the status quo under center was very unlikely, and he has refused to say anything else on the subject since then.
“You’d think they would put up more of a united front,” said one team insider of Smith’s murky status. “This will be something to watch more down the road. Both of them have strong opinions.” Very interestingly, Smith’s actual interest in remaining with the Niners — which we’ve been hearing for some time now isn’t all that strong — has been overshadowed by the mixed support he’s been receiving from the Niners’ new hierarchy. Said the insider: “I think Alex wants to move on, but it’s so funny, nobody is mentioning that angle.”
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on