There’s going to be plenty of interest out there for Portis, this despite him only playing in five games and rushing for 227 yards and two scores a season ago.
Here’s five teams that will give Portis a look once he’s released.
1. New Orleans Saints – Last season with injuries to Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush the Saints were forced to go with Chris Ivory, that is until he got nicked up as well. Portis would fit in well with the offense, and the Saints very well may release Bush, setting up room for the Saints to pickup Portis.
2. Indianapolis Colts – Another team that was so beat up at the RB spot a season ago, they could use another vet in the backfield that could help opponents respect the run. Indy averaged just 92.7 yards per game a season ago, and Donald Brown and Joseph Addai just are not giving Peyton Manning enough help in the backfield.
3. Cincinnati Bengals – Ced Benson is a free agent, and Portis could be plugged in and help an offense that could have a new QB under center if Carson Palmer gets his wish. Benson rushed the ball 321 times a season ago, so Portis likely would be one of two new backs in the backfield if Benson leaves.
4. St.Louis Rams – Sure Steven Jackson is the workhorse back for the Rams, but Portis could fit a needed role as the stud backup for St.Louis, a team that seems poised for a playoff run in 2011. After Jackson it was Kenneth Darby with 34 carries, and Portis could double that helping out Jackson and making him fresher later in games and the season.
5. San Francisco 49ers – Brian Westbrook won’t be back with the Niners in 2011, and the team will need someone to back up Frank Gore. Portis would fit in well with new coach Jim Harbaugh, and could help grind out some yards as they only averaged 103 yards per game last season.
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on