There’s no question that one college coach that will be wooed by NFL teams is Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh. Put the 49ers at the top of the list of teams that want to put on the press to get Harbaugh in San Fran to coach the team in 2011 and beyond.
According to David White of the San Francisco Chronicle, the 49ers plan on speaking to Harbaugh once Stanford plays in the Orange Bowl on Monday.
Team president and CEO Jed York said the next general manager will pick the coach to replace Mike Singletary, who was fired Sunday when the 5-10 49ers were eliminated from the NFC West race.
Harbaugh has been a fixture in NFL and college coaching rumor mills the past two years. Some speculate he’s headed to his alma mater if Michigan fires its coach. Other NFL teams with vacancies are expected to show interest.
If Harbaugh doesn’t pick the 49ers, the team would move to a Plan B lineup. Team and league sources anticipate they would consider former Ravens coach Brian Billick, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, among others.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on