With Troy Smith coming to the Niners, the team has released third string QB Nate Davis.
The 49ers released third-string quarterback Nate Davis on Monday after just one season, according to an NFL Network report. Davis never played as a fifth-round pick last season, but developed a following of fans who wanted to see him compete with Alex Smith for the starting job this past offseason. Niners coach Mike Singletary made clear that was not going to happen during training camp. He came down hard on Davis after the second exhibition game, questioning his work ethic in the offseason and declaring him not ready to compete for so much as the backup job with David Carr. Davis completed 23 of 44 passes for 301 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in four exhibition games.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on