Mel Kiper’s latest mock draft has the team taking running back C.J. Spiller in the first round. Blogger Mike Sando from ESPN shares his thoughts on that pick should it happen:
Mel’s pick: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
My thoughts: The 49ers do need a return specialist. They could use a change-of-pace running back, too. Spiller would fill those needs and let’s face it, mock drafts are mostly about matching teams needs with the prospects available. But as the 49ers found out when Michael Crabtree fell to them unexpectedly, surprises happen. It’s important for the 49ers to keep things in perspective here. It’s way too early to write off Glen Coffee as Frank Gore’s backup. A running back drafted in the first round needs to play, in most cases, and this selection would invite more questions about Gore’s role in an offense that ignored him for stretches once Alex Smith became quarterback. It’s possible to find return specialists later in the draft. Spiller should be the pick only if the value is there, not just to fill a couple needs.
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on