There has been debate about if Vernon Davis has been worth it, but today’s Sacramento Bee says that there is no question the team is ready to take the TE to the next level:
If you ask 49ers coaches, they’ll tell you Vernon Davis has been worth the expense. Heck, they say, he’s probably become the best blocking tight end in the league. And did you see how he handled Dolphins sack master Joey Porter last year in Miami?
The truth, however, is that you draft a blocking tight end in the sixth round, not sixth overall. With that selection, you’re looking for a playmaker, someone who leads his team in pass receptions and touchdowns. And in that regard, Davis has been merely mediocre. Which is to say, if Davis’ old coaches were giving new 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye advice, it would be this: Keep it simple and Davis will make you look smart.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on