Ernie Conwell thinks Vernon Davis is eventually going to bust out and have a monster game. With just five receptions for 87 yards after five games, it appears that Davis will be yet another under-utilized tight end in a Mike Martz-coordinated offense. There had been talk earlier in the year that Davis, despite his ability to run deep routes, would play more of a decoy role.
What’s confounding is that quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan, as inexperienced as he was entering the season, hasn’t relied on his tight end more. Tight ends are usually the security blankets for raw NFL quarterbacks. Perhaps Davis reaches his full value this weekend, but 49ers fans – and Davis’ fantasy owners – are surely frustrated at his lack of production.
Within this piece, it’s noted that Davis has taken on more pass-blocking duty than he expected.
Ann Killion writes that Mike Nolan’s play calling might be too vanilla.
Kentwan Balmer is still learning about leverage.
The 49ers will have to focus their attention on Correll Buckhalter now that Brian Westbrook is out for tomorrow’s matchup.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on