Niner Insider Kevin Lynch pointed out in a recent column that head coach Mike Nolan said the team would have taken Dwayne Bowe with the 11th pick last April if they hadn’t used it on Patrick Willis. This got me thinking: knowing now that both players excelled in their rookie years and look to be future stars – if not superstars – which would I rather see wearing the red and gold?
It’s easy to make the argument that a great middle linebacker is likely to have a more meaningful impact on a team than a great wide receiver. The middle ‘backer is the “quarterback” of the defense. More importantly – at least in Willis’ case – he can set the emotional tone for an entire unit.
You don’t often see a wide receiver having such a profound impact on the offense – unless he is a wild prima donna, in which case the impact is rather negative.
With those points made, I am happy the Niners chose Willis. What do you think?
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on