ESPN.com’s Michael Smith is reporting that the 49ers and unrestricted free agent defensive end Justin Smith have agreed to a six-year, $45 million contract which includes $20 million in guarantees.
The 49ers have stated a need for a pass rusher and they got the best one on the market. Smith has 43.5 sacks in seven seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals.
Smith is still only 28 and will give the 49ers a player on the edge that teams must be aware of.
In addition to the signings of kick returner Allen Rossum, running back DeShaun Foster and wide receiver Isaac Bruce, the 49ers are getting more of a veteran presence on their team.
The retirement of defensive tackle/end Bryant Young, impending retirement of quarterback Trent Dilfer and release of middle linebacker Derek Smith had left the 49ers searching for some new player leadership. It looks like they have fulfilled that need with their recent signings.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on