The 49ers, in an attempt to upgrade their return game, signed former New Orleans Saints wide receiver/return specialist Michael Lewis and released WR Brandon Williams on Tuesday. Williams, a third-round pick in 2006, wasn’t particularly impressive in his role as a punt returner and could not crack the rotation of 49ers’ receivers.
Lewis, a Pro Bowl selection back in 2002, is the Saints’ career leader in both kick and punt returns; however, he was released in June 2007. He also achieved cult status in New Orleans by the unusual route he got into the NFL; he was driving a beer truck before making the Saints’ roster in 2001.
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on