Arnaz Battle scored untouched from a yard out with 22 seconds left to lift the 49’ers to a 20-17 season-opening win over the Cardinals at Monster Park. Battle fumbled a 22-yard reception into the end zone, but Arizona failed to pounce on the loose ball and San Francisco recovered to set up a first down on the one-yard line. Alex Smith had a key 25-yard scramble on 4th-and-1 during the winning drive and finished with 126 yards passing for San Francisco. Frank Gore added 55 yards and a touchdown on the ground for the ‘Niners, who wore 1981 throwback uniforms to honor late Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh. Matt Leinart threw for 102 yards and a touchdown, but was also intercepted twice. Edgerin James racked up 92 yards and a TD on the ground. The loss spoiled the debut of new head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
49ers Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our 49ers Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest San Francisco 49ers news.
- 49ers Pass Rusher Dee Ford Makes a Big Impact in Return to Practice on
- Tevin Coleman Likely to Be the 49ers Lead RB in 2019 on
- Are the Niners Ready to Turn the Corner? Only Time Will Tell on
- Podcasts: Thoughts on the Niners Loss to the Bears; Response to Fans Questions on
- Midseason Review – San Francisco 49ers on